Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Wrinkling and Carpet Restretching Causes

I noticed something a few years ago that has largely gone unexplained.
There is a direct correlation between carpet wrinkles (carpet that is buckling and causing "waves") and humidifiers and/or swamp coolers.
Several years ago, my last carpet showroom was a huge square building with no AC.  I purchased a commercial size swamp cooler to try and cool the place down.  The building was 3300 square feet with 24 foot ceilings.  It was cooler immediately.
The week after I started using the swamp cooler, wrinkles began to appear, then grow (the carpet was stretched in over a year before).  I noted the wrinkles with the manufacturer and made my own assumption:  I knew the installation was done correctly, because I did it; so the cause had to be a manufacturing defect such as delamination, or an environmental issue. 
Since then, I have noticed that every consumer claim with me regarding wrinkles has had one thing in common:  swamp coolers. 
The reason for the post is simple:  heavy use of a humidifier or swamp cooler can cause damage to carpeting, as well as furniture and cabinets.  There is a certain level of humidity that your home and health require, but above that level, or an inconsistent level, can lead to problems such as wrinkling.

No comments:

Post a Comment